Monday, April 23, 2007

Hospital Morning

Today's my brother's 30th birthday...he got the boy this Grover for the past Christmas.


Today was originally one of our target dates, meaning that we had thought about inducing today if the boy handn't been born.
Well, he hasn't been born so we went in to Munson for an ultrasound and then a non-stress test to make sure that all was well and we weren't poking fate in the eye by not inducing.
All in all the trip was an interesting one, i missed clas but had let the teacher know that there may be a chance that I wouldn't be there. Mind when I go back to class Wednesday everyone will think that we had the baby.

In my time at the hospital I tried to keep track of what was going on. There wasn't too much but here are a few things that I remember.
- In the waiting area before going into the ultrasound there were a few magazines and two books. The books happened to be Penguin poetry pocket guides for William Blake and Beaudilaire. I spent my time reading the latter, I found that I enjoyed his prose poems much more than his traditional poems. I also discovered that he wrote a poem entitled Lesbos(hah) and for the second time in a year I zinged Debbie by reading a poem and inserting the name Rapuda from a J.Geils Song. I also snuck into the impenetrable Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce as we drove downstate to leave for Ireland.
-During the ultrasound all I could do was cough, there must've been something in the air that just aggravated my throat. I was afraid that I was getting sick but when we left that closed space I was fine.
-We went from the ultrasound room out into the main body of the hospital. The maternity ward we've visited before so it was a nice short trip. As I opened up the door to the ward, a long hallway of mauve, what first struck me was the smell. It wasn't unpleasant, far from it. In fact we've been drinking these Raw potions of Kombucha. The first few bottles of this stuff that we've drank has smelled slighly vinegar-y. That is the smell that I found myself thinking of when we walked throught the doors. The longer we were there the less I noticed the smell.
-During the non-stress test(see the following photo) we got a call and a visit from Debbie's OB. Confused and thinking that whomever called was actually family I wandered out into the ward like a fool only to see the doctor. I greeted him with a heaty, What's Up Doc? Silly yes but I thought it fitting. As I settled into the corner and got into the conversation about where to goto next I looked towards the floor, I noticed that Dr.Nowak was wearing hospital booties. On his left foot, near the toes, was a single drop of bright red blood. At least I thought it was blood. I didn't ask.
-When the stress test was finall completed fifty minutes after it started and we were able to leave there came an interesting moment in the hallways running between the fetal ICU and the C-section room. Debbie was walking in front of me, swaying in the style only a pregnant woman sways. Walking towards us was another pregnant woman, husband in tow, in full hospital gown and gear. She said something along the line of "not today?" to which Debbie said no. What I found fascinating was their walk. They both walked the same way.
-We got into the car, walking through the rain. Debbie called her folks and opened up the conversation with our latest stock opener, "This is not the call". In our conversation with the OB inducing labor was brought up and we settled on a date to do so if need be, April 28th. Saturday. If this is when Jack is born he will share a birthday with these people: King Edward the 4th of England, Harper Lee, Saddam Hussein(!~?), Ann-Margaret, Terry Pratchett, Jay Leno, Penelope Cruz, Jessica Alba, Nicklas Lindstrom, Violent J of the Insane Clown Posse, Barry Larking, John Daly the fat golfer, Too $hort(!!!!!), Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth, Yves Kelin, Oskar Schindler, and many others.
Famous deaths on that day include: Zip the Pinhead, Benito Mussolini, Iceberg Slim, Jim Valvano, and two pro wrestlers Lou Thesz and Chris Candido.
Famous events throughout history on that day:1947 - Thor Heyerdahl and five crew mates set out from Peru on the Kon-Tiki to prove that Peruvian natives could have settled Polynesia, 1967 - Expo 67 opens to the public in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2003 - Apple Computer's iTunes Music Store launches, selling 1 million songs in its first week and 1789 - Mutiny on the HMS Bounty. Captain William Bligh and 18 sailors are set adrift and the rebel crew returns to Tahiti briefly and then sets sail for Pitcairn Island.


Took this shot on the way to grab some juice from the maternity ward pantry. Yes it is blurry, didn't notice until I got back home. Cool shot anyways. This was maybe 40 minutes into the non-stress test.


Here we find my lovely wife at 9.40am, standing up in the hopes that this position of her body would result in movement from the boy. it worked to a degree but like our cats during the day I think he just curled up and went to sleep.

No comments: